Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Break in Canada, A Snow Story

From Montreal we drove to the Old City of Quebec which has a very European city feel to it. Only the American dollar goes a bit further there these days than it does in Europe.

While we were walking in Quebec our path was blocked with a large mound of snow. While we were checking the map for a way around the mound of snow, not even sure if we were headed in the right direction, a couple walked by us and simply walked over the snow. I know this seems silly to write about, but that reminded me of a story my grandfather Manny told me. When I was learning to drive my grandfather told me about the one question that he got wrong on his driving test when he first moved to Georgia from Canada. The question was, "what do you do when you get to a road and a sign says 'paved road ends'?" The choices were, "A. Proceed with caution. B. Turn around and go back. C. Keep driving normally." My grandfather chose B, to turn around and go back. The correct answer was A, to proceed with caution. As silly as that story was to me as a teenager in Georgia (where I knew all about dirt roads), I felt that my situation in the Canadian snow was just as silly, for surely my grandfather knew exactly what to do when one's path was blocked by a mound of snow.

No comments: